Task 2.2

Picture of Ελένη Αλιατάκη
Αλιατάκη Ελένη
by Ελένη Αλιατάκη - Δευτέρα, 12 Οκτώβριος 2015, 5:55 πμ

Thanks to the research that has been done over the last decades a lot of light has been shed on the problems that pupils with specific learning disabilities have been facing. Fortunately nowadays experts are able to determine the cause of students’ underachievement in contrast to the time we were students. 

Then all pupils exhibiting SpLDs’ characteristics were considered to be careless, lazy or just silly. Their inability to cope with the classroom demands was attributed by all of us to their lack of effort or indifference. Had I known about these difficulties, I would have certainly appreciated their effort.

As they were restless or inattentive, they were looked down upon by their peers and they were reproached by their teachers.  They were suffering from anguish and frustration, as they were made to feel inadequate and inferior. Their low self-esteem resulted in a sense of failure and their withdrawal.

As a teacher now, I feel that I need to have an understanding of the problems that the students with specific learning disabilities may have within the classroom situation. Hopefully, with this insight, a great deal of misunderstanding of their behavior can be prevented. Moreover, this knowledge will enable me to adopt certain teaching strategies in order to successfully integrate them into the class environment.

Picture of Ευαγγελία Γκαντίδου Σχολικός Σύμβουλος Καβάλας ΠΕ06
Απάντηση: Αλιατάκη Ελένη

Thank you Eleni for sharing your thoughts with us. You are putting emphasis on the emotional effects of SPLDs on children.

Their self-image appears to be extremely vulnerable to frustration and anxiety. According to Erik Erikson, during the first years of school, every child must resolve the conflicts between a positive self-image and feelings of inferiority. If children succeed in school, they will develop positive feelings about themselves and believe that they can succeed in life.

If children meet failure and frustration, they learn that they are inferior to others, and that their effort makes very little difference. Instead of feeling powerful and productive, they learn that their environment controls them. They feel powerless and incompetent.

Researchers have learned that when typical learners succeed, they credit their own efforts for their success. When they fail, they tell themselves to try harder. However, when the dyslexic succeeds, he is likely to attribute his success to luck. When he fails, he simply sees himself as stupid.

Research also suggests that these feelings of inferiority develop by the age of ten. After this age, it becomes extremely difficult to help the child develop a positive self-image. This is a powerful argument for early intervention.