Task 2.2

Φωτογραφία ΑΝΑΣΤΑΣΙΑ ΡΟΔΙΟΥ
Ροδίου Αναστασία
από ΑΝΑΣΤΑΣΙΑ ΡΟΔΙΟΥ - Δευτέρα, 12 Οκτώβριος 2015, 1:12 μμ

Both as a pupil and a teacher I have been with students who exhibited some of the characteristics that have been highlighted here. 

Unfortunately, students with Special Learning Difficulties have to deal both with their problems and their classmates' and teachers' behavior towards them as well. They are considered indifferent, lazy, weak and "hopeless". Their classmates usually laugh at them, or call them names and isolate the "problematic" students. 

As a teacher I find it very difficult to cope with these students, mainly because I lack knowledge about their difficulties. Their behavior makes things worse. They can't usually follow instructions and are generally very slow. As a result, they don't participate in the lesson at all and stay very quite, or more often, are noisy, aggressive and cause trouble. So, I try to keep them under control, as far as their behavior is concerned, but I don't do much for their improvement. Hopefully, I believe that after this course I'll be able to help them essentially.

Φωτογραφία Ευαγγελία Γκαντίδου Σχολικός Σύμβουλος Καβάλας ΠΕ06
Απάντηση: Ροδίου Αναστασία

Thank you Tasoula for sharing your thoughts with us.

It is true that many of the emotional problems caused by SpLDs occur out of frustration with school or social situations. Social scientists have frequently observed that frustration produces anger. This can be clearly seen in many students with SPLDs

The obvious target of their anger would be schools and teachers. However, it is also common for them to vent their anger on their parents. Mothers are particularly likely to feel their wrath. Often, the child sits on his anger during school to the point of being extremely passive. However, once he is in the safe environment of home, these very powerful feelings erupt and are often directed toward the mother. Ironically, it is the children's trust of the mother that allows them to vent their anger. However, this becomes very frustrating and confusing to the parents who is desperately trying to help their child.

As youngsters reach adolescence, society expects them to become independent. The tension between the expectation of independence and the child’s learned dependence causes great internal conflicts. The adolescents with SPLDs use their anger to break away from those people on which they feels so dependent.

Because of these factors, it may be difficult for parents to help their children. Instead, peer tutoring, an understanding and helpful teacher or a concerned young adult may be better able to intervene and help the child.