Task 7.1

Picture of ΑΝΑΣΤΑΣΙΑ ΡΟΔΙΟΥ
Ροδίου Αναστασία
by ΑΝΑΣΤΑΣΙΑ ΡΟΔΙΟΥ - Κυριακή, 22 Νοέμβριος 2015, 6:04 πμ

Task 7.1
All the methods recommended in task 2 seem to be effective with dyslexic students. As these students face difficulties with short-term memory and sequencing and have limited phonological awareness, they should be taught small and manageable chunks of language. We, the teachers should provide explicit instruction for anything we teach. Moreover, the learners should be given the opportunity of repetition and recycling. Needless to say, that, multisensory activities should be used for both presentation and practice.
If we consider vocabulary we should have in mind not to teach similar items in one lesson, focus on one item at a time and move to the other when the first is firmly established. We should use kinesthetic and visual cues in presenting a new item, (miming, skywriting, mnemonics, playing with vocabulary cards etc).
Moving on to grammar we should present the new structure in a familiar context in order to ensure that they understand the appropriate use of the new structure. We should point out the rules and the exceptions. Practice is crucial in order to gain the security they need. Of course they should be given plenty of time.
I personally believe that all these methods and techniques are applicable to mainstream classrooms a well. The only obstacle we could face is time shortness. Most of the above methods are time consuming and since there is usually lack of time, a rather heavy syllabus and a numerous class we can’t afford to spend the required amount of time on each case.
As for linear lists or mind maps, although I use the first ones due to the easiness in using them, I certainly believe that mind maps are more effective. They help students
organize the items that are taught and reinforce acquiring the language income more easily.