Task 7.1

Picture of ΜΑΡΙΑΝΘΗ ΞΑΝΘΟΥ
Μαριάνθη Ξάνθου
by ΜΑΡΙΑΝΘΗ ΞΑΝΘΟΥ - Δευτέρα, 30 Νοέμβριος 2015, 5:24 μμ

Task 7.1:

Having read all about the methods that are presented in this unit, I believe that all of them are very helpful when it comes to teaching not only dyslexic students but the others as well.

Explicit instruction, repetition and recycling are more than important since their combination can lead in better understanding of what it is taught and thus in successful language learning. Dyslexic students often do not fully grasp the concepts and functions of the different parts of a language. This is why lessons should be highly structured and taught in a direct, explicit way. (for example writing on the board should be very legible and not too small. Color could be useful for highlighting main points). Structure is essential for students with dyslexia. Routine, clear directions and accessible goals help children feel more secure.

Practice and repetition are essential in all reading, writing and spelling activities designed to develop automatic skills. Repetition is the way to encourage storage in long-term memory. Drills and exercises should be plentiful. (Mnemonics for spelling; pictures for vocabulary, rhymes for verbs, are some techniques that could be used).

As far as multisensory presentation is concerned, teaching uses all learning pathways in the brain (i.e., visual, auditory, kinesthetic tactile) simultaneously or sequentially in order to enhance memory and 

No need to say that when we present new knowledge into small chunks, our teaching becomes more effective, as our students can easily acquire even the most difficult material. A child’s concentration and attention span tend to lengthen when tasks are short and successful.

I believe that all these methods can and should be used in mainstream classrooms. Strategies developed for pupils with dyslexia tend to be appropriate for all pupils.

Regarding linear lists and mind maps, I think they both work but I go for mind maps as I feel they offer more than lists. They can be used to visually organize information. In a Mind Map, information is structured in a way that mirrors exactly how the brain functions – in a radiant rather than linear manner. A Mind Map literally ‘maps’ out students’ thoughts, using associations, connections and triggers to stimulate further ideas. They extract their ideas from their head into something visible and structured.