Task 5.1

Φωτογραφία Ελένη Αλιατάκη
Eleni Aliataki
από Ελένη Αλιατάκη - Σάββατο, 31 Οκτώβριος 2015, 7:03 μμ

None of the proposed accommodations seems to be implausible. Based on the principles of the MSL approach, they address dyslexic students’ needs and if they are applied, they can enhance foreign language learning and help dyslexic students to succeed.

However the question is to what extent we can utilize them. We cannot fail to take into consideration the needs of diverse classrooms with students who learn at different rates. How can we prevent the majority of the class from feeling bored if we slow down the pace of instruction considerably? Moreover taking into account the considerable amount of teaching material to be covered and the limited time we have available, we may not have the luxury to do so. Consequently I believe that such accommodations would be much more beneficial and effective in special education classrooms than in general education ones. For example at my school students with learning disabilities can attend such classes for other subjects but not for foreign language.

Furthermore, although I often use a computer, a CD player and a projector for presentations,   listening tasks or video comprehension, there is no language lab and my students cannot use computers or portable media players.

On the other hand, even under these circumstances, there are a lot of useful and practical accommodations which are not difficult to implement, even in a general education classroom, like for example using explicit teaching procedures, combining written and verbal information,  providing additional practice activities and a glossary, emphasizing daily review,  changing the response mode etc. Such accommodations could foster  learning and reduce feelings of frustration or anxiety.

Φωτογραφία Ευαγγελία Γκαντίδου Σχολικός Σύμβουλος Καβάλας ΠΕ06
Απάντηση: Eleni Aliataki

I absolutely agree! Unfortunately, factors such as class size, teaching hours and facilities make some of these accommodations sound unfeasible. However, some tasks in books can be replaced by "dyslexic friendly" ones. I think that this is a way for the teacher to teach what was planned and, at the same time, to help dyslexic students.