Task 5.1

Picture of ΕΛΕΝΗ ΧΑΤΖΗΑΝΔΡΕΟΥ
Hajiandreou Eleni
by ΕΛΕΝΗ ΧΑΤΖΗΑΝΔΡΕΟΥ - Κυριακή, 1 Νοέμβριος 2015, 10:36 πμ

According to me all of the ways to assist dyslexic students mentioned in the set of cards are very helpful; I dare to say that I could use in my sessions almost all of them, with a little extra effort on my behalf of course.

Being though more realistic and thinking that every week I have to teach 120 students in the four grades of my school, I should mention the ways which I think are difficult to practice: 1) developing reading guides seems too difficult for me to prepare because as I mentioned I teach many children every week, I have to correct notebooks, write and correct tests, and also prepare activities for the two hours of 'flexible zone' ( ευέλικτη ζώνη ) which I teach.

2) providing a graphic organizer seems great , theoretically speaking but not for the nature of my dyslexic students! The boy with deficit disorder in the 5th grade is indifferent to any part of my teaching, being noisy and sometimes rude; the only thing he cares for is to leave the classroom and play football ! The other two dyslectic students ,which are brothers, are less noisy and stay peacefully in classroom but unfortunately they do not exhibit any eagerness to learn , although I tried to give them some guidelines. They stay pathetic during teaching, like watching cinema and they do not have the motivation even to copy the new vocabulary, at least a few words.

3) provide a copy of lecture notes is also practically useless for my type of students, for the reasons I mentioned above. The two brothers with a serious form of dyslexia diagnozed, still struggle to read and write in L1. The boy with attention deficit disorder would take the copy of my notes and play darts with it or paint funny faces! Of course I could always try to motivate him a little bit more, but honestly speaking I am tired of his behaviour and I make a big effort to perform my teaching, tolerating his disobedient attitude.

4) display work samples would mean not a big deal for the students I have mentioned so far, for all the same reasons. Of course I am reflecting that  the boy with ADHD, would stare at the samples for a while and get a little puzzled, but then he would return to his own indifferent and easy going state of mind. 

5) use peer mediated learning is, I'm afraid, unfeasible too; the ADHD boy communicates with his fellow students only to exchange football cards or to tell them jokes while I'm teaching. It is certain that he has lost his motivation , but I do not feel responsible for that. The only positive aspect I can see for him  (that is why I do not include the use of technological devices in the list of the unfeasible ones ) is that he is very willing to aid me when I turn on the computer they have in their classroom, so I could help him by these means.